Right to Manage

Condominium on the Land with Right to Build over the Land with Right of Management


Article 7 paragraph (1) and (2) of Law Number 16 of 1985 on Condominium, the developer (the “Developer”) may build a condominium over the land with Right of Management (Hak Pengelolaan) (“HPL”). HPL is a right to control, given by the state which the implementation is delegated to its holder. Rights of land that may be granted over the HPL land are Right to Build (Hak Guna Bangunan) (“HGB”) and Right of Use (Hak Pakai) (“HP”). The Developer is obligated to complete the HGB or HP status of the land prior to the initial offer of any property over the land, in accordance with the prevailing laws and regulation. Therefore, the Developer must be aware of the procedure of the obtaining of such rights and other requirements related to HGB and HP over HPL land, which is set out in the Government Regulation Number 40 of 1996 (“GR 40/1996”) and State Minister of Agrarian/Chief of National Land Agency Regulation Number 9 of 1999 on Procedure of the Granting of Rights of Land and Revocation of Right of State Land and Right of Management (“Regulation 9/1999”).

read more

Legal Status of a Property over the Right to Manage

Not all land has a pure rights over land. There is a Right to Manage (Hak Pengelolaan Lahan – HPL) over some lands, like in some areas in DKI Jakarta, for example Senayan, Kemayoran, Pulomas, etc.

HPL is not a right over land and is not regulated in the Agrarian Law but it is regulated in the Goverment Regulation No.8 of 1953 on Control Over State Lands and Agrarian Minister Regulation No. 9 of 1965 on the Implementation of the Conversion of Control Over State Lands and Provisions on the Subsequent Policy.

HPL object is agricultural land and non agricultural, whereas the subject or the holder of HPL in general is Provincial Government (“PEMDA”), State-owned Corporation (“BUMN”), and Provincial-owned Corporation (“BUMD”) according to the goverment regulation as referred above.

HPL has no ownership period and is given only on state land controlled by PEMDA, BUMN, and BUMD with the purpose to control zoning and land use, so it is suitable with its zoning plan.

HPL is essentially a right concerning authority as stated in Article 1 paragraph 1 Regulation of the Minister of Domestic Affairs No.1 of 1977 on the Application Procedure and Resolution of Grant of Rights Over Parts of the Right to Manage and its Registration, as follows:
to plan the use of the land;
to use the land for the purpose of implementing its business;
to deliver some parts of the land to the third party, according to the requirement specified by the rights holder company, which includes its purpose, use, time period and financial, provided thatthat the grant of right of the land is conducted by the authorities, in accordance with the applicable laws and regulation.
Some kinds of rights of land such as Right to Build (HGB), Right to Cultivate (“HGU”), Right to Use (“HP”) can be issued over the HPL, but in practice and in accordance with Article 7 paragraph (2) of Law No.16 of 1985 on Condominium, a Right to Build is more often issued over HPL based on the agreement between the holders of HPL and the third party. For example, a Right to Build is issued over HPL with a purpose of building an apartment for residence. Therefore, every Rights to Build granted to third party must be approved by the HPL holder and as long as there is no change of use of a HPL land, then such approval shall be granted to third party. Thus, it is clear that an approval serves as a control function and is not an absolute authority from HPL holders.

Ivan Ari

read more